EMS training helps strengthen muscles, especially ones that haven’t been activated in a while or are weak due to injury. When you contract your muscles, without EMS, you only contract about 30% of your muscle fibers. The other 70% are dormant. They also come into play when your 30% activated muscle fibers fatigue. But EMS helps to stimulate all the muscle fibers. This can lead to improved strength gains and an accelerated recovery following an injury.
It is further thought to work by strengthening the motor neural connections. If an injury or surgery has prevented you from using these muscle fibers and they are weakened, EMS can help re-strengthen these neural connections to recruit the muscle fibers through the quickest neural network. Technically, the more frequently you recruit these muscle fibers, the more efficient the neural network behind their recruitment will be. This, again, leads to increased strength and a better recovery.
EMS training is often used in rehabilitation programs, as well as for elite and pro athletes. The EMS device generates impulses. These impulses travel through the wires to electrodes that are directly applied to the skin. These impulses then travel to the muscle fibers, causing them to contract. You’ll frequently see the use of these devices and EMS training in physical therapy clinics.
In addition to EMS training, massage therapy is also commonly combined to improve recovery and accelerate healing. At Athlete’s Choice Massage, our registered massage therapists are ready to help you get better or simple improve your performance. Click BOOK NOW below to schedule your next massage appointment.