What is your sport: Archery
Archery dates back to historical use in combat or hunting. Today, archery is a skill frequently used in competitions and sport. The goal of archery as a sport is to be the most skilled bowman in the competition by hitting the target. There are various tournaments at provincial, national, and world levels. Many also participate in archery as a recreational sport or activity. It is further included in the Olympics as an Olympic and Paralympic sport.
Archery involves intense concentration and focus. It requires muscle coordination, balance, and strength to exceed the distance of the target and hit the target.
Common Muscle Injuries from Archery
The most common archery injuries include:
- Rotator Cuff Injuries: The shoulder is the most unstable joint in the human body. With repetitive motion – such as that in archery – the rotator cuff may cause impingement or other issues.
- Tendonitis: Inflammation in the wrist, elbow, and shoulder is common in archers.
- Muscle Strain: When a muscle is pulled past it’s limits, a muscle strain injury may occur. These may happen early on in an archer’s career or when using a new bow.
- Neck Pain: The proximity to the shoulder and other muscles used puts the neck at risk during this sport.
- Back Pain: Like the neck, the mid and upper back has an increased risk of injury due to repetitive shoulder and arm use.
How Can You Alleviate Your Archery Injuries?
Most archery injuries are caused by overuse and repetitive motions. Consequently, rest is the most important part in the recovery of these injuries. Your body needs time to heal. During this time, strengthening and stretching exercise may be performed to prevent future recurrence. Although, it is recommended to do so at your own pace. Wait until the pain subsides to begin exercising or training again. Your massage therapist, physiotherapist, or doctor can help guide your recovery.
At Athlete’s Choice Massage, our services include massage, osteopathy, sport taping, acupuncture, and more. Let our experienced team help you get back to your sport feeling better than ever. Contact us or book your appointment online today.
About Athlete’s Choice Massage
Athlete’s Choice Massage is a modern massage studio. Since opening in 2016, Athlete’s Choice Massage has become an active part of the Edmonton and Sherwood Park community. Our experienced registered massage therapists set the highest standards in massage treatments. With massage therapy being covered by many people’s extended health care benefits, it is now easier than ever to experience the positive effects of therapeutic massage.