What is your sport: Baseball
Baseball is a sport played by 2 teams of 9 players. The field is diamond-shaped with 4 bases. The goal is to score more runs than the opposing team. Runs are scored by hitting the ball with a bat at first base and by successfully running through all the bases.
Hand-eye coordination is critical for all players in the game. Other athletic skills required for baseball include catching, throwing, hitting, and running.
Common Muscle Injuries from Baseball
The most common baseball injuries include:
- Rotator Cuff Tears: This is a common injury in pitchers due to repetitive motion.
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury: This is often another overuse injury that occurs in pitchers.
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries: Sudden stopping and changing directions when running from base to base may lead to ACL tears or strains.
- Medial Collateral Ligament Injuries: Similar to ACL injuries, a MCL injury may occur when running the bases or stopping on a base.
- Muscle Strains: A muscle strain can occur from running, throwing, stopping, or catching. Any muscle can become stretched past its normal limits causing pain.
How Can You Alleviate Your Baseball Injuries?
Use the R.I.C.E. method (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) immediately following an injury. It’s always a good idea to get the affected area checked out by a trained and experienced healthcare professional. They can determine the best course of treatment – getting you back to the activities you know and love as soon as possible.
At Athlete’s Choice Massage, our team provides osteopathy, acupuncture, orthopaedic assessments, massage, and sport taping services. We are committed to helping you. Rid yourself of pain and start your recovery today. Book your next appointment at Athlete’s Choice Massage.
About Athlete’s Choice Massage
Athlete’s Choice Massage is a modern massage studio. Since opening in 2016, Athlete’s Choice Massage has become an active part of the Edmonton and Sherwood Park community. Our experienced registered massage therapists set the highest standards in massage treatments. With massage therapy being covered by many people’s extended health care benefits, it is now easier than ever to experience the positive effects of therapeutic massage.