What is your sport: Basketball
Basketball is a sport played with 2 teams consisting of 5 players each. The objective is to score by throwing the ball through the opposing team’s netted hoop that is fixed high above each end of the court.
Basketball requires a variety of skills. These skills include dribbling, passing, shooting, defense, and rebounding. In basketball, players are constantly running back and forth down the court using the major muscles of the lower body.
Common Muscle Injuries from Basketball
The most common basketball injuries include:
- Ankle Sprains: Due to the fast paced nature of the game, rolling of on the ankle is a common issue in basketball.
- Knee Sprains & Strains: A lack of strength or flexibility around the knee joint can lead to a sprain or strain in this area.
- Meniscus Tear: A quick change in direction can cause a meniscus tear to happen.
- Wrist or Hand Injuries: These make up about 11% of all basketball injuries. The most common of these injuries is tendonitis, strains, or sprains.
- Hamstring Strain: A hamstring strain can happen due to a lack of flexibility or strength in the muscles. Basketball requires a lot of running. Thus, these muscles experience a lot of stress.
How Can You Alleviate Your Basketball Injuries?
It’s important to train on and off the court. Strengthening the commonly used muscles can help prevent a lot of pain and missed play time. Further, proper stretching before and after playing basketball can help improve your flexibility.
At Athlete’s Choice Massage, our team aims to help you through a smooth and hassle-free recovery. We offer massage therapy to reduce pain, increase range of motion, and improve blood flow – ultimately, promoting proper healing. Other services that may help your recovery include acupuncture, manual osteopathy, orthopaedic assessments, and sport taping. Consider and explore your options. Find out how you can get back to sinking hoops on the basketball court. Contact us today.
About Athlete’s Choice Massage
Athlete’s Choice Massage is a modern massage studio. Since opening in 2016, Athlete’s Choice Massage has become an active part of the Edmonton and Sherwood Park community. Our experienced registered massage therapists set the highest standards in massage treatments. With massage therapy being covered by many people’s extended health care benefits, it is now easier than ever to experience the positive effects of therapeutic massage.