What is your sport: Golf
Golf is defined as a sport where each player – via the use of special clubs – attempts to sink the golf ball in a hole in as few strokes as possible. The golf ball is struck using these special clubs. Typically, the courses are 9-holes or 18-holes.
Golf incorporates various skills, including proper grip, stance, swing, and strategy. The way the club is gripped and the stance you take affect your swing considerable. Further, there are proper techniques and form involved in swinging a golf club – and in order to get the ball where you want it to go.
Common Muscle Injuries from Golf
The most common golfing injuries include:
- Low Back Strain: Golfers spend a lot of time in a bent-over stance. Although, existing weaknesses or back issues can greatly increase a golfer’s chance of a low back injury.
- Golfer’s Elbow or Tennis Elbow: Both of these conditions are tendonitis, where the tendon becomes inflamed and irritated from overuse.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries: A tear or strain may occur in the rotator cuff due to overuse or improper form in the golf swing.
- Wrist Strain: The muscles and tissues in and around the wrist and forearm can become strained due to overuse and repetitive motion.
- Knee Pain: The knee is placed under varying degrees of stress in the golfing stance and through walking during the game. It often becomes aggravated during a swinging movement. However, those with arthritis or pre-existing knee issues are more likely to experience this type of golf injury.
How Can You Alleviate Your Golf Injuries?
First and foremost, take the proper precautions. If pain occurs, rest. If the pain persists, seek out medical attention. The best way to prevent injury is by ensuring you use the proper mechanics and form throughout your golf game. If you are unsure what this is, it’s always a good idea to ask an expert – or practice without the club first. Icing may also help relieve some of the initial pain that occurs at the onset of injury.
At Athlete’s Choice Massage, we provide acupuncture, orthopaedic assessments, osteopathy, massage, and sport taping. Our train and experienced team is dedicated to helping you get back to your favourite activities and sports. A proper recovery reduces the chances of re-injury. Take care of your body. Find out how we can help you. Contact us today. Or book your next appointment through our online booking system.
About Athlete’s Choice Massage
Athlete’s Choice Massage is a modern massage studio. Since opening in 2016, Athlete’s Choice Massage has become an active part of the Edmonton and Sherwood Park community. Our experienced registered massage therapists set the highest standards in massage treatments. With massage therapy being covered by many people’s extended health care benefits, it is now easier than ever to experience the positive effects of therapeutic massage.